Do you need a conveyancer?
Legally, you don’t have to engage a lawyer or a conveyancer to assist or complete the transfer of ownership of a property. You can do it yourself.
However, as it is something most of us only do a few times in our lives and it generally involves significant amounts of money – it is not the sort of thing you want to get wrong. It is after all a legal process and Contracts of Sale are complex legal documents with far reaching implications if mistakes are made.
The key benefits to engaging an experienced conveyancer are:
- An experienced professional to act on your behalf and to promote your best interests
- To ensure you meet all your legal obligations, and that your rights are protected
- To ensure completion is as timely and smooth as possible
- To avoid mistakes, delays, unnecessary or unexpected costs, property debts or taxes.
If you do decide to use a conveyancer, it is important to choose wisely. We suggest you ask your prospective licencedconveyancer the following questions:
10 Questions to ask your Conveyancer:
1. Are you a licenced Conveyancer?
2. Do you offer a Fixed Cost service?
3. What is included in the Fixed Cost?
4. What is excluded from the Fixed Cost?
5. What other fees or charges might I incur?
6. What will any additional services cost?
7. What government fees and charges will I need to pay?
8. How long will settlement take?
9. How will you keep me up to date with what’s happening?
10. Can you please provide me with an overview of the process?
Want to know more?
Follow this link to learn more about our Conveyancing services, or you might like to check out these great brochures produced by the NSW Law Society:
Our expert lawyers are here to help. If you would like further information or require legal assistance you can Telephone us on 1300 292 700 or use our Legal Enquiry Form for same business day response. There is no cost to you for making initial contact with us.